Special Opportunity Fund
The Special Opportunity Fund (SOF) allows the Foundation to respond to special or unforeseen opportunities that strongly align with our mission and priorities to advance racial, social and economic equity.
We look for select opportunities that have the potential to significantly impact and advance the Foundation’s equity goals and priorities. For this reason, most grants in the SOF are larger in scope, magnitude and size and are initiated by the Foundation. Rapid response grants will be considered as warranted. We will consider a very limited number of Capital projects that meet our Capital guidelines through the SOF.
Given the opportunistic nature of this fund, our guidelines for the SOF are broad. We seek proposals that:
- Offer a significant and measurable increase in resources, services, and opportunities in high-need, under-resourced communities, with priority in our Geographic Areas of Focus: South Los Angeles and the Southeast cities of Los Angeles County.
- Address the growing imbalance of opportunity in Southern California, including in the areas of immigration and housing for homeless and low-income individuals.
- Build the capacity of organizations, collaboratives and coalitions engaged in youth organizing.
- Focus on achieving an accurate 2020 Census count.
- Combine equity and economic growth strategies.
- Capital projects that: 1) bring new or expanded services to our Geographic Areas of Focus or other under-resourced communities of color; and 2) where project completion is unlikely without Weingart Foundation support.
NOTE: Organizations interested in applying to this Fund should first contact a member of our program staff.