May 11, 2020 News
Committee for a Greater Los Angeles Will Inform COVID-19 Response and Recovery
As communities respond to the COVID-19 crisis, a new foundation-inspired effort will inform the roadmap for a just recovery. The Committee for a Greater Los Angeles is a collaboration between philanthropy, nonprofits, business, labor, Los Angeles City and County, other L.A. cities, and researchers from UCLA and USC.
The goal of the project is to ensure that L.A. County communities most impacted by the pandemic are at the center of a recovery that will ultimately ensure they will be better off than they were before the crisis. The project also seeks to enable greater coordination in crisis response among civic institutions and leaders.
The committee plans to issue a report in August that will draw on key data regarding disparate impacts in vulnerable communities, identify critical issues, and make recommendations for action. Employing a racial justice framework, the report is intended to contribute to the broader discussion about how to build a more equitable and inclusive L.A. County for all.
Some of the data the committee receives during the investigative process may be too urgent to wait for the release of the final report—particularly if the data and analysis can inform current decision-making and change behaviors that can save lives now. Below are several analyses the committee has recently released. The Weingart Foundation will continue to post information from the committee on our website as it becomes available.
- Achieving Health Equity after COVID-19, Elaine Batchlor, MD, MPH, CEO, Martin Luther King Jr, Community Hospital (June 12, 2020)
- COVID-19 and the Crisis: Vulnerabilities in Los Angeles, Manuel Pastor, USC Program for Environmental and Regional Equity (May 5, 2020)
- Equity in Los Angeles Public Schools: Before and After COVID-19, Debra Duardo, MSW, Ed.D., Los Angeles County Superintendent of Schools (June 26, 2020)
- Participation in the U.S. Census is Falling Behind, Paul Ong, Jonathan Ong and Elena Ong, UCLA Luskin School of Public Affairs (April 30, 2020)
- Reimagined Recovery: Black Workers, the Public Sector, and Covid-19, Center for the Advancement of Racial Equity at Work at the UCLA Labor Center (June 2020)
- The Impact of Systemic Racism on Health and Mental Health in Los Angeles County, Eraka Bath, MD, Los Angeles County Department of Mental Health/UCLA (June 12, 2020)
- Youth Organizing Best Practices and the Advancement of Racial Justice, Equity, and Inclusivity in Los Angeles County, Veronica Terriquez, UC Santa Cruz (July 2, 2020)